The Current Pecking Order in Burrito Land:
1. Gordo's - 1423 Solano Ave Albany, CA 94706 Albany
Now these are all over the place, but I like the one in Albany best. The one in South Central (Berkeley) blows and it's overrun with damn dirty hipsters. The burritos at the good ones are straightforward, fresh ingredients, good sauce, and the staff is a bunch of chill dudes. It's unassuming, but that's part of what makes it so excellent.
2. La Taqueria - 2889 Mission St San Francisco, CA 94110
This is prime stuff. The tacos and burritos are solid all the way around. The atmosphere is bustling but relaxed and you can stumble into any number of sketchy bars nearby when you're done punishing your stomach and want to go a few rounds with your liver.
3. Chile Jalapeno - 6706 San Pablo Ave Oakland, CA 94608
Highly recommended for a few reasons. First off, they burrito has some sort of magic cheese in it that induces crack-like convulsing. They also have great tacos. Cheap too! $1.25 a pop. Last, they have a very peaceful outdoor space so it's a great place to chill and drink beers while you enjoy the traditional style Mexican eats.
4. Juan's Place - 941 Carleton Street Berkeley, CA 94710
The place is a little dark, and I could see it being the scene of some violent fight seen in a Tarantino movie. Of the places I've been to, this seems the most like Mexico. No one speaks English really, and you grapple with the prospect of never being seen again when you walk in. Everything they make is huge and delicious though, and they have great fish tacos. Tip: Try their salsa and chips that they give you before the meal. I tried to get take out and ended up staying because the stuff was way to good to pass up.
5. Cactus Taqueria - 1881 Solano Ave Berkeley, CA 94707
Best roll I've had. I've heard the fish tacos are good here but so far I've stuck to conventional meats. Very solid choice with lots of options, but it takes a while especially on weekends and I say just go to Gordo's down the block. Plus there are always kids there giving each other the swine flu and whatnot.
6. Tacubaya - 1788 4th Street Berkeley, 94710
They have some good specials and nice turnover on the menu. The fact that they have something different everyday means they're keeping things fresh. Important, especially when it comes to seafood. I feel like they need to beef their food up a little bit though. It's tasty, but I can always go for more afterward. They did have VERY good churros though.
More to come...I'll also try to include other metrics in upcoming posts: Post-meal hallucinations, level of regret, degree of digestive exhaustion, magnitude of loss of will power, etc.
No comments:
Post a Comment